ย 
Search

How to be flexible and follow a routine





Pictured: A recent Let's Sleep family who got out for a fun day at the snow with their 6 month old baby Lillian and had the best time!








Let me paint a picture for youโ€ฆ


๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ข ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ (๐˜ข๐˜ง๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜บ ๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ), ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜บโ€™๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ณ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ต/๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต, ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ฉ๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถโ€™๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ.


๐˜‰๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ง๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ด, ๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฌ๐˜ด, ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ, ๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฑ๐˜ด, ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ด๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜บ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ณ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ๐˜ต ๐˜ฏ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ.

Be reassured that it is VERY COMMON to feel this way - especially when youโ€™ve worked so hard to help your little one be a โ€˜good sleeperโ€™ and as a result, everyone in the household is better rested. You donโ€™t want to rock the boat and I get it - believe me.


Getting out and about and making plans is so beneficial for you, your partner and your little one/s. The more you get out and about, the more you realise how good getting about and about makes you feel.


If youโ€™re feeling anxious about committing to activities or trips away, start small. Book in a swim class or a playgroup in between naps and practice getting out and about for that activity first.


Then one day you could try offering the morning nap on the go (in pram car or carrier for example) - roll out with the pram 15/20 mins before nap time to allow baby time to unwind for sleep. Take along their sleep props such as a white noise machine. If the nap is shorter than usual - that is okay, just offer the next nap a bit earlier.

If youโ€™re doing a day trip to the zoo, keep an eye on how long theyโ€™ve been awake and offer them a nap in the pram or carrier when theyโ€™re ready. The naps will likely be shorter than it is at home and that is totally okay. Compensate with an earlier bedtime if needed.

The 60:40 rule is how I talk about flexibility with routine. As long as your little one is following their normal routine and napping in their cot/bassinet 60% of the time, the other 40% of the time you can have flexible days.

If you have a flexible routine day once a week and spend the whole day out and about and your little one has a couple of short naps and goes to bed at night a bit overtired - they will be absolutely okay. Being flexible some days will not lead to your baby's sleep falling in a big heap.


What I enjoy so much about my role as an Infant and Child Sleep Coach is that parents feel so empowered with knowledge after sleep support finishes that they know how to navigate the day regardless of what happens. If baby skips a nap for some reason - they know what to do. If baby has a short nap for some reason - they know what to do. Having plan A, B, C and D for navigating your little one's sleep helps you to feel confident and enables you to say YES to the fun stuff like zoo visits, coffee with friends or beach days.


Life is for living and you don't want to feel trapped at home all day every day!


You got this folks!


Keen for sleep support with your little one? Book in a free 15 minute chat with me or book a sleep package directly via the website. I can't wait to hear from you.

78 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All